Thatotherguy, how far have you come with making a webstart?
I simply went and took an existing jnlp, in this case from Kev's kitipong, and altered the text in it, like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<description kind="short">Karl's Kard'ss</description>
<j2se href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se" version="1.4+" max-heap-size="128m"/>
What you do is simply exchange the relevant info with your own, save as a jnlp, execute it (no need to put the jnlp online) and see if that works. Now, things might get more complicated if you're using any extra libraries, which I guess you do, but I'm sure someone could help out with that little problem.
The jar file itself is like a zip file. For my memory game, the files it contains are the class files and the resources, and that's it.
At first I was set on creating a working executable jar file, and I tried putting in every lib I could find, ended up with a 10 mb jar that still couldn't be run.
Also, you might see it says version="1.4+", well that's not true in my case so that messed things up for some ppl with older Java versions, but it worked for anyone with the most recent version. I myself am totally lost when it comes to webstart's, and I agree on Java having a distribution system quite disheartening for newbies.
Just try it out, see how far you get and post any troubles here and I or someone can hopefully push over the next hump.